Today I was so excited to see Xariona had spawned in Deepholm as it’s the first time I’ve seen her in person. That knocks one of the top things off my bucket list :)
She’s one of the five rare elites of Cataclysm which doesn’t require that many to kill. In fact, at end-game, this twilight dragon is soloable.
Xariona has five abilities:
As long as you know what the abilities are, the fight can be a non-issue. With two people, Cool pretty much stood in each Twilight Zone to avoid taking extra damage. I asked him to rotate her as she was about to place another zone down so I could stand in the old one meaning two were up at all times. Shadow Fissure was easy to avoid and with Twilight Breath, I just stayed in the white zones to help negate the damage. With this simple strategy, we killed her in 14mins.
In addition to dropping her special epic, she also drops a random ilvl 359 BoE and a recipe.
Xariona’s Spectral Gauntlets
Drape of Inimitable Fate
Design: Subtle Alicite
Excuse all the crap on the screen but WOOT! That was the last of the Cata rare elites I had to kill :)
I’d seen this rare around early in the expansion, watching a group of Alliance try and take this massive beast down with a group of about 8 at the time. They had a lot of trouble with his abilities. Today I managed to spot this rare again with Coolidge on my back (literally) and I knew it would be a feat to kill him as a duo. Having experienced his abilities first hand we sent a few calls out gaining a DPS from the Guild to help. Being Christmas Day, attendance online was pretty sketchy. Our little band of three soon became four and with a couple more attempts we knew we needed 1 more to take him down. Before we knew it word had spread around and we had a small raid of seven.
Julak-Doom has three abilities:
- Black Breath – which creates a puddle of dark ooze that deals Shadow damage to all enemies in the area and has a 60yd range.
- Dark whispers – invade the target’s mind, forcing them to do the bidding of Julak-Doom. Removed when damaged below 90% health.
- Massive Shockwave – has an unlimited range and stomps the ground, emitting a massive shockwave that deals Physical damage to targets in a cone in front of the caster and knocks them down.
That’s where the extra numbers are needed. It was hard enough when one of us was MC’ed but in a group of three, two will get MC’ed instead. So with our last attempt with seven, the fight proved to be a non-issue and was over in ~4 minutes.
Four down, one group rare to go. Xariona, I’m coming for you next.
Vitreous Beak of Julak-Doom – Caster dagger
Morrie’s Waywalker Wrap – BOE leather chest piece
Design: Fine Hessonite (sadly I didn’t win the unknown recipe)
Not bad. Our 2nd Group rare in 2 days!
Just 2 more and our Group Rare collection will be complete.
We tackled this familiar foe with 5 people using 3 ranged DPS to avoid his Massive Eruption – which deals Fire damage to nearby enemies. Although you can pull him without his adds they did have a certain affinity for Fae’s pet :P Thank goodness for Feign :)
His other 2 abilities:
- Magma Shackles – Reduces the movement speed of nearby enemies by 60% for 10 sec.
- Antimagic Pulse – Dispels magic on nearby enemies, removing 1 beneficial spell effect.
…didn’t pose much of a problem.
Like the others, you can’t kite too far from when you pull him as he will reset. We managed to keep him close to the tree towards the middle of his pathing route and managed to rotate him around the tree as the adds patrolled past. The fight itself took ~20mins due to his location I suspect, higher level and all that.
Garr’s Girdle of Memories
(He now drops Garr’s Reinforced Girdle of Memories)
Here’s our 2nd Group Rare kill taken in the Abyssal Depths of Vashj’ir. The kill itself took ~12mins with five level 80’s.
Mobus has 4 abilities:
- Algae clouds which can be easily moved out of once he has targeted someone;
- Ram which had our tank using a CD for every cleave;
- Wake basically our DPS kept to one side of him for the duration; and
- Enrage which he will do towards the end.
We actually used 2 healers but could probably have used one as long as everyone watched out for his abilities. All in all, I had to hymn once and fiend in addition to 3 innervates :P That’s DPS/healing though.
Mobus’s Vile Halberd
(He now drops Mobus’s Dripping Halberd)
I usually like to sleep in on Sundays but this could be one of the few exceptions to the rule. After Coolidge called me with a brief, yet urgent “Get on, please get on, Get on!” 000 call; I quickly learnt that he had found one of the Group rares in Uldum – Akma’hat.
He has the following abilities:
- Fury of the Sands – Sand boulders erupt in all directions, dealing Physical damage on impact.
- Sands of Time – Behold the sands of time! Reduces haste of some nearby enemies within 60 yards for 15 sec.
- Shockwave – Deals 95000 to 105000 Physical damage in a cone in front of the caster, affecting all enemies up to 50 yards away.
- Stone Mantle – Surrounds the caster in a mantle of stone that absorbs incoming damage. Increases damage dealt for as long as the mantle holds.
After a quick summon and 7 in the raid, we gave it a go and after an epic 10 minute battle he was eating the very sand he was standing in just a few seconds earlier. Not too hard a fight either. Looking forward to the next one :)
Belt of a Thousand Mouths
He now drops Belt of a Thousand Gaping Mouths