- Blog Azeroth
- Places of Interest
- World Events
Posts tagged Dragon Aspect
Before the Titans departed Azeroth, they charged the greatest species of the world, the dragonflights, with the task of watching over it, lest any force should threaten its perfect tranquility. There were many dragonflights in that age, yet there were five that held dominion over their brethren. It was these five flights that the Titans chose to shepherd the budding world. The greatest members of the Pantheon imbued a portion of their vast power upon each of the flights’ leader whom themselves were created by the titans from the dragon known as Galakrond. These majestic dragons became known as the Aspects.
- Nozdormu, the Timeless One
- The massive bronze dragon chosen by Aman’Thul, the Highfather of the Pantheon, to guard time itself and police the ever-spinning pathways of fate and destiny.
- Alexstrasza, the Life-Binder
- The red leviathan chosen by Eonar, the Titan patron of all life, to safeguard all life on the world.
- Ysera, the Dreamer
- The lithe green dragon, and Alexstrasza’s younger sister, chosen by Eonar to watch over the growing wilds of the world from her verdant realm, the Emerald Dream.
- Kalecgos, the Spell-Weaver
- Former investigator for Malygos and guardian of Anveena, he succeeded Malygos as the new Blue Aspect during the Embrace.
- Malygos, the Spell-Weaver
- The blue dragon chosen by Norgannon, the Titan lore keeper and master magician, as the guardian of magic and hidden arcanum. After declaring war against all mortal spellcasters, he was killed by agents of Alexstrasza.
- Neltharion, the Earth-Warder
- The mighty black wyrm chosen by Khaz’goroth, the Titan shaper and forger of the world and given dominion over the earth and the deep places of the world. He was driven mad by the whisperings of the Old Gods and managed to drive the blue dragonflight to near extinction. He is now known as Deathwing. Slain by Thrall, adventurers, and the other Aspects at the Maelstrom.
It is unclear whether the remaining Aspects will choose a replacement for Neltharion. Due to the Aspects being drained of their power at the end of Patch 4.3, when they use the Dragon Soul to destroy Deathwing, this is unlikely. The most likely outcome is a power struggle amongst the Black Dragonflight resulting in a new leader for the flight, but not a Dragon Aspect.
The main storyline quest of the Badlands in Cataclysm is centered around Rheastrasza and her research of the black dragonflight and of a way of purifying them. She has captured the black dragon, Nyxondra, and forces her to lay eggs for the experiments. She feels pity for the black dragon, but knows it is for the greater good. After succeeding in creating a purified black dragon egg, she constantly moves around to avoid being found by agents of the black dragonflight, who want to destroy the egg. In the quest Rheastrasza’s Gift, she is killed by Deathwing, who was after the egg. The egg he destroyed, however, was not the purified one, but Rheastrasza’s own egg. Here’s a reminder to the cinematic from the quest:
Of course, it’s Wrathian who hatches from the egg. Now the more I find out about Wrathian, the more interesting things get. I really envy those rogues on their legendary chain.