Ysera the Awakened is the green Dragon Aspect charged with the protection of the Emerald Dream who watches over Azeroth. She is known as the “mother” of Cenarius to Druids.
Eonar the titan blessed Alexstrasza’s younger sister, the lithe green dragon Ysera, with a portion of nature’s influence. Ysera fell into an eternal trance, bound to the waking Dream of Creation. Formally known as the Dreamer, she would watch over the growing wilds of the world from her verdant realm, the Emerald Dream.
You are bound to the waking Dream of Creation. Nature is your realm, and all things have caught glimpses of the Emerald Dream when they sleep. You see them all, Ysera. And they see you, though they may not know it. Like the Life-Binder, you touch all living beings, and sing to them the songs of creation and interconnectedness.
– Blessing of the Green Aspect, given by Eonar
Ysera’s projection appears at the Emerald Dragonshrine in Dragonblight. Her skin glitters with countless emeralds while her physical form is ethereal, like watching a living dream or vision. The Emerald Dream is a place where all living beings dream while sleeping. A place where sentient beings have dreams of hope and faith for a better tomorrow. From the Emerald Dream, Ysera can observe all lesser races. Although her eyes are usually closed, you can see her pupils constantly moving as if watching many dreams at once.
Ysera can assume the female form of any race, depending on whom she is talking to. She often wears an emerald green dress with emerald jewellery and emerald hair. Her updated model and wardrobe can be seen below.
She avoids and dislikes combat, especially in her realm. When angered, she becomes paranoid and impulsive, keeping herself isolated in the Eye of Ysera within the Emerald Dream and rarely seen in the real world. When in combat, she attacks with her greenish breath to put her opponents to sleep, and rarely strikes to kill. She prefers to neutralise her enemies and banish them away from her realm.
Ysera can travel anywhere she wishes by entering the dreams of any sleeping living being. She may enter the dreams of a target to communicate or warn the sleeper. Ysera has the ability to planeshift between the real world and the Emerald Dream.
Lord Itharius, brother of her consort Eranikus, had been sent as her ambassador to Alexstrasza’s Wyrmrest Accord.
Ysera has also appeared at Mount Hyjal under the World Tree Nordrassil during the Cataclysm expansion.
After the War of the Ancients, Alexstrasza planted a magical acorn from the Mother Tree G’Hanir within the second Well of Eternity, created by Illidan. The Tree grew large till it reached the heavens and was crowned Nordrassil. Ysera enchanted the tree so that it was bound to the Emerald Dream.
Ysera was one of the Dragon Aspects that gave some of her power to the Demon Soul, not knowing Neltharion would betray the Aspects.
Ysera at Wyrmrest Temple before defeating Ultraxion
The Aspects once again imbue the Dragon Soul with their essence
During the final battle against Deathwing
Read about Ysera’s most trusted lieutenants.
The Tiny Emerald Whelpling used to be farmed from the Adolescent Whelps and Dreaming Whelps in Swamp of Sorrows. These days they are farmed from the Noxious Whelps in Northern Feralas.
Before the Titans departed Azeroth, they charged the greatest species of the world, the dragonflights, with the task of watching over it – in case any force should threaten its perfect tranquility. There were many dragonflights in that age, yet there were only five that held dominion over their brethren. It was these five flights that the Titans chose to shepherd the budding world. The greatest members of the Pantheon imbued a portion of their vast power upon each of the flights’ leader whom themselves were created by the titans from the dragon known as Galakrond. These majestic dragons became known as the Aspects.
- Nozdormu, the Timeless One
- The massive bronze dragon chosen by Aman’Thul, the Highfather of the Pantheon, to guard time itself and police the ever-spinning pathways of fate and destiny.
- Alexstrasza, the Life-Binder
- The red leviathan chosen by Eonar, the Titan patron of all life, to safeguard all life in the world. Due to her supreme wisdom and unlimited compassion for all living things, she was crowned the Dragon Queen.
- Ysera, the Dreamer
- The lithe green dragon, and Alexstrasza’s younger sister, chosen by Eonar to watch over the growing wilds of the world from her verdant realm, the Emerald Dream.
- Kalecgos, the Spell-Weaver
- Former investigator for Malygos and guardian of Anveena, he succeeded Malygos as the new Blue Aspect during the Embrace.
- Malygos, the Spell-Weaver
- The blue dragon chosen by Norgannon, the Titan lore keeper and master magician, as the guardian of magic and hidden arcanum. After declaring war against all mortal spellcasters, he was killed by agents of Alexstrasza.
- Neltharion, the Earth-Warder
- The mighty black wyrm chosen by Khaz’goroth, the Titan shaper and forger of the world and given dominion over the earth and the deep places of the world. He was driven mad by the whisperings of the Old Gods and managed to drive the blue dragonflight to near extinction. He is now known as Deathwing. Slain by Thrall, adventurers, and the other Aspects at the Maelstrom.
It’s uncertain if the remaining Aspects will choose a replacement for Neltharion. Especially in light of the Aspects being drained of their power at the end of Patch 4.3 when they used the Dragon Soul to destroy Deathwing. Perhaps there will be a power struggle amongst the Black Dragonflight resulting in a new leader for the flight, but not a Dragon Aspect.
Following the Cataclysm, the main storyline for the Badlands is centered around Rheastrasza and her research of the black dragonflight and of a way of purifying them. She ends up capturing the black dragon, Nyxondra, forcing her to lay eggs for her experiments. Although she feels pity for the black dragon, she knows it is for the greater good. After she succeeds in creating a purified black dragon egg, she is eventually found and killed by Deathwing, who destroys the egg as well. However, we soon find out it was not the purified one, but Rheastrasza’s own egg that was destroyed. I can’t help but feel a little sad for her sacrifice on both counts.
Here’s a reminder of the cutscene: Rheastrasza’s Gift
Of course, it’s Wrathian who hatches from the egg. Now the more I find out about Wrathian, the more interesting things get. I really envy those rogues on their legendary chain.