- Blog Azeroth
- Places of Interest
- World Events
Posts tagged 2012
Ah, so you weren’t chosen for Flamekeeper this year? Don’t fret, my friend! The Midsummer Fire Festival isn’t merely about that traditional honour; it’s a time of merriment, a chance to celebrate the hottest season of the year by lighting great fires across the land and sharing in what the elemental spirits can offer. Come to our camps and join in the revelry!Taken from the old official website.
It may officially be Winter on our side of the world but we all know that it’s Summer in Dath’remar (or if your name is Coolidge). The Midsummer Fire Festival has been around since 2008 and like inflation, the loot gets upgraded with each instalment. This year, it will run from Thursday, June 21 to Wednesday, July 4.
So if you’re starting from scratch, here’s what you have to look forward to:
When you first kill the holiday boss – Lord Ahune, he will drop an item (which everyone can loot) which starts Shards of Ahune, rewarding you with either the blue Tabard of Summer Skies or the orange Tabard of Summer Flames (above) as well as 20 Burning Blossoms. If you decide you want the other colour, you can destroy the tabard you have and then ask the tabard vendor for the other colour – this also counts for the achievement tally. Ahune also has a chance to drop the Ice Chip pet or the Frostscythe of Lord Ahune which only has stamina on it. Blizzard later explained this by saying that they didn’t want the scythe to compete with harder to obtain weapons.
Other items may be purchased from the Midsummer vendors through trading in your Burning Blossoms.
- Mantle of the Fire Festival – 100 Burning Blossoms
- Vestment of Summer – 100 Burning Blossoms
- Sandals of Summer – 200 Burning Blossoms
- Brazier of Dancing Flames – 350 Burning Blossoms
- Captured Flame – 350 Burning Blossoms
- Helm of the Fire Festival – 350 Burning Blossoms (new for 2012)
To complete the set you can also obtain the Crown of the Fire Festival as a reward from capturing all the flames from each capital city.
Here’s a demonstration of your personal brazier. I didn’t actually test it by cooking anything though.
The Searing Scorchling used to be a drop from Lord Ahune but was replaced by the Ice Chip. It was later re-added in the 4.2 patch from a possible item inside Zen’Vorka’s Cache sold by Zen’Vorka. This vendor may be found in the Molten Front once you have collected x30 Marks of the World Tree from dailies.
There are four new achievements for this year:
- Flame Keeper of Northrend
- Flame Keeper of Cataclysm
- Extinguishing the Cataclysm
- Extinguishing Northrend
Here are the eight Alliance and eight Horde fires in Northrend.
- Howling Fjord Fort Wildevar at 58,16 (Alliance) and Camp Winterhoof at 48,13 (Horde)
- Grizzly Hills Amberpine Lodge at 34,61 (Alliance) and Conquest Hold at 19,61 (Horde)
- Zul’drak The Argent Stand at 41,61 (Alliance) and the Argent Stand at 43,71 (Horde)
- Storm Peaks K3 at 42,87 (Alliance) and K3 at 40,86 (Horde)
- Crystalsong Forest Windrunner’s Overlook at 78,75 (Alliance) and Sunreaver’s Command at 80,53 (Horde)
- Dragonblight Wintergarde Keep at 75,44 (Alliance) and Agmar’s Hammer at 39,48 (Horde)
- Borean Tundra Fizzcrank Airstrip at 55,20 (Alliance) and Bor’gorok Outpost at 51,12 (Horde)
- Sholazar Basin River’s Heart at 47,66 (Alliance) and River’s Heart at 47,62 (Horde)
The Uldum and Twilight Highlands fires are separate with the Deepholm, Vashj’ir, and Mount Hyjal fires being neutral.
- Mount Hyjal Nordrassil at 62,22 (neutral)
- Vashj’ir Silver Tide Hollow at 49,42 (neutral)
- Deepholm Temple of Earth at 49,51 (neutral)
- Uldum Ramkahen at 53,32 (Alliance) and Ramkahen at 53,34 (Horde)
- Twilight Highlands Thundermar at 47,28 (Alliance) and Bloodgulch at 53,46 (Horde)
So good luck if you have a busy week ahead of you.
This year, the holiday will begin on April 29 and end on May 5.
The rest of the quests appear to be the same, including an ice cream treat and flying a kite together.
The most exciting thing for me is that I FINALLY have all of the pets! Being a Blood Elf, I was always one behind with the ones in Orgrimmar. So yesterday, I was able to complete my collection with the Rat Cage.
For those who don’t have all the pets on your main, don’t worry as Mists will be bringing account wide pets, meaning you can have them all spread out amongst all your toons on the same account right now. So if you’re missing some, just do the quests and collect a different pet on each toon.
Alternatively, if you already have all the pets, you can choose one of the other two rewards: Magical Pet Biscuit (new for this year and works just like Papa Hummel’s Old-Fashioned Pet Biscuit – the TCG item) or Curmudgeon’s Payoff.
I logged into the live server to do my Darkmoon Dailies after midnight so I could get in my extra day of dailies only to find a loud booming voice on loading screen. It said,
I remember you, in the mountains…
I said to Cool, What the heck was that? he said What? So I told him and he replies, “That’s Thorim, he’s the only one I know who says that…” Ok, but why am I hearing that, I thought? So when I went through the Darkmoon portal I heard something again.
Hmm, ok I know that audio queue for sure.
Seems DBM has added some sound files to the loading screens which I’m told can be turned off via a setting in DBM. Since, I’ve only heard a handful of these so far, I’ll see if I can stand it but then again I’m on the Beta more than live these days so it probably won’t be much of an issue.
No, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! - XT
Simple fools! Time is the fire in which you’ll burn! – Prince Malchezaar
Oww, you… you…infuriate me! – Lord Rhyolith
Suffer, mortals, as your pathetic magic betrays you! – Sindragosa
Although I did get a game crash as soon as I jumped into the tonk for my daily. Playing on the wireless sure didn’t do me any favours for the number of tickets I needed, but I was pretty tired though.
The other ones I’ve noticed so far:
I did check my armory profile in case they decided to do something there too but didn’t see anything. I didn’t think too much about the jokes this year until I saw the Warcraft Pets one. But then again, wouldn’t you want Blizzard putting most of their effort into Mists? From what I’ve seen on the beta, I haven’t been disappointed with the content or scenery. Well, the female Pandaren do tilt their head a bit too much for my liking, but as long as all the bugs get worked out, I’m really looking forward to playing Mists on live servers.
Anyone notice anything else today?