Garrisons are designed to play a major role in your progression so here’s a rundown on what you can expect. The buildings you choose for each outpost will determine what blueprints you get for your Garrison, shape your questing experience, provide different followers and unique buffs for that zone.
The Garrison Calculator can help you determine what plots to choose and how it will look once fully upgraded (only six of the central buildings may be altered) according to your plot choices.
Table of Contents
Soon after you establish your garrison, your garrison architect asks you to find and learn the barrack blueprints left in one of the outer buildings. Construction requires an initial 350 resource cost and once you finalise the building, you’ll receive the Call to Arms perk.
The Garrison Cache located just outside the Barracks plot initially contained 1,000 garrison resources with a variable amount every other visit to the garrison. Once you upgrade your Town Hall to level 2, the cache can be found along the right wall.
Be sure to loot Lady Sena’s Extra Stash for a small boost of garrison resources. They are located on the left side of the mine entrance (overlooking the cliff). It appears Lady Sena is a bit of a hoarder with a secret stash of stone in the underwater cavern (right next to the fishing shack). There’s also an unused wood pile on the outer north-western end of the garrison border.
Along they way, you’ll pick up profession specific items like the Cracked Band which can be handed into the relevant quartermasters once repaired. Each turn-in will net you between 5 and 20 garrison resources. You can only hold 10,000 Garrison Resources at a time.
These default buildings cannot be changed and unlock as you level. It’s also the only place where you can pick herbs and mine nodes without having the professions themselves.
Level 1 blueprints are available when your Garrison reaches Tier 2.
The central hub of all garrison activity. Access to your Architect and Mission Commander can be found inside. The Garrison Hearthstone (received as an early quest reward) returns you to this building.
- Unlocks access to a large and small building plot.
- Unlocks access to a medium and additional small building plot. Also unlocks access to small, medium and large buildings. The quest Bigger is Better requires level 93 and 200 resources.
- Unlocks access to an additional large, medium and small building plot. Also grants access to three custom monuments and a direct transport to Ashran. Any archaeology finds will appear in the left alcove. Requires max level, 2,000 resources and 5,000 gold.
Frostwall Mines (unlocked with a Level 2 Town Hall at 92)
The Mine was once abandoned, but there are still underground riches ready to be discovered.
- Allows players to mine Draenic Stone from mineral nodes in Draenor. Draenic Stone can be converted to work orders for Draenor minerals.
- A new mineshaft allows access to additional mining nodes and lootable supply carts. Also allows up to 3 work orders at once.
- A final mineshaft allows access to rich mining nodes. In addition, garrison guards will patrol your mine, keeping it clear of hostile Goren. Also allows up to 5 work orders at once.
Requires Draenic Stone Collector to unlock the Level 3 blueprint.
Lantresor of the Blade – Starts with Meet Me in the Cavern in Nagrand.
Fishing Shack (unlocked at 94)
The Fishing Shack provides support to those looking for their next big catch.
- Allows small Draenor fish to be caught in Garrison waters and provides access to daily Fishing quests.
- Allows medium Draenor fish to be caught in Garrison waters.
- Grants you a chance to catch unique fish in Garrison waters. These can be used to lure Cavedwellers onto the shore.
Requires Draenor Angler to unlock the Level 3 blueprint.
Nat Pagle – Quest: An Angler On Our Team (requires 700 fishing)
Herb Garden (unlocked at 96)
A bountiful garden for the planting and harvesting of Draenor herbs. Quest for the Herb Garden.
- Grows Draenic Seeds into herbs each day and herbalism nodes are available in the garden.
- Increases the amount of herbs that can be harvested at the Garden. Also allows up to 3 work orders at once.
- Grow a unique Draenor fruit tree in your garden that grants food buffs. Also allows up to 5 work orders at once.
Requires Draenic Seed Collector to unlock the Level 3 blueprint.
Shadow Hunter Rala – Quest: The Real Prey (Frostfire Ridge)
Pet Menagerie (unlocked at 98)
The Menagerie provides new opportunities to develop and enhance your pet retinue.
- Attracts elite pets you can battle for rewards. Also lets 5 of your battle pets to hang out in your garrison.
- Increases your trap chance while in Draenor, and lets 10 of your battle pets to hang out in your garrison.
- Reduces the cooldown of the Revive Battle Pets ability by 50% while in Draenor.
Requires Draenic Pet Battler to unlock the Level 3 blueprint.
In order to unlock the menagerie, you’ll need to defeat three pests around the garrison. The daily challenges become available once your Town Hall is upgraded to Level 3.
Large buildings enhance your garrison’s followers
The Barracks houses your garrison’s military forces and followers.
- Unlocks Patrol Missions. Patrol Missions have higher than normal follower experience rewards. (200 resources)
- Allows a follower with the bodyguard trait to accompany you as a guardian in Draenor Zones. Requires Comprehensive Outpost Construction Guide. (300 resources)
- Increases your follower limit by 5 and grants access to racial guards and banners.
Complete Patrolling Draenor to unlock the Level 3 blueprint.
- Doubles the chance for your quest rewards to get a rare or epic Bonus Upgrade and increases the potency of the upgrade. Allows the collection of armor scraps from the Orc clans of Draenor for armor transmogrification use.
- Opens up work orders for follower weapons and armor in exchange for garrison resources. Also, new armor transmogrification items unlock.
- Grants 1 of your 3 seals of tempered fate (raid bonus loot roll) at no cost each week.
Filling the Ranks unlocks the level 3 blueprint
- Unlocks a personal engineer that creates a powerful invention each day. Exceptional work!
- Your engineer gains access to five new and amazing devices.
- Allows the creation of a siege vehicle once per day. Drive it to victory in Draenor!
Terrific Technology unlocks the level 3 blueprint
Enables instant travel to strategic points in Draenor!
- Allows the collection of Ogre waystones from ogres on Draenor. These waystones can be used to power an Ogre waygate of your choice on Draenor. Also occasionally triggers Runes of Power during combat.
- Unlocks access to a second Ogre Waygate for a total of 2.
- Unlocks access to a third Ogre Waygate for a total of 3.
Stables provide significant benefits to your mounts.
- Enables the capture and training of special mounts on Draenor. Also allows you to remain mounted while interacting with objects in outdoor Draenor zones.
- You will no longer get dazed by enemies while riding mounts in outdoor Draenor zones.
- Increases mount speed in Draenor by 20%.
Master of Mounts unlocks the level 3 blueprint.
Medium buildings increase your garrison’s productivity.
Adventure! Excitement! A Hero and his followers need all these things, along with a place to rest afterward.
- Each day, a visitor offering a dungeon quest with generous rewards will spend the day at your inn.
- Recruits random followers each week. You can specify traits and abilities you’re especially interested in. (requires 225 resources)
- Unlocks the particularly lucrative treasure hunter missions.
Stay Awhile and Listen unlocks the level 3 blueprint.
Lowlands Lumber Mill
The Lumber Mill enables access to different types of Timber throughout Draenor.
- Allows you to mark small trees in Draenor for harvest. Harvested Timber can be converted to work orders for Garrison supplies.
- Allows you to mark medium trees for additional timber.
- Allows you to mark large trees for even more timber.
- Phylarch the Evergreen – requires a level 3 lumber mill. Phylarch can randomly spawn at large timber nodes but will only become a follower after you defeat him 3 times.
- Allows you to capture clefthoof, elekk, wolves, and talbuk for leather and fur. Used for leatherworking and tailoring recipes.
- Allows you to capture boars and riverbeasts for rare meats used to create the most powerful food.
- Allows you to capture elite beasts to harvest for savage blood, used in all epic crafted armor and weapons.
Master Trapper unlocks the level 3 blueprint.
- Dark Ranger Velonara – Quest: Standing United (Spires of Arak)
- Talonpriest Ishaal – becomes available once you complete the Achievement: Between Arak and a Hard Place in the Spires of Arak
- Goldmane the Skinner – Go to the top of the tower at Ironfist Harbor, Nagrand and kill Bolkar the Cruel. Use the key to free him from the cage.
The Trading Post is the Garrison’s centre of commerce with the natives of Draenor.
- A merchant shows up each day selling trade goods. Allows the trade of crafting reagents for garrison resources.
- Grants access to the Sha’tari Defense or Laughing Skull factions. Also unlocks the ability to acquire parts from around Draenor to build an auctioneer.
- Increases reputation gain in Draenor by 20% (account-wide).
Savage Friends unlocks the level 3 blueprint.
Cacklebone – Requires revered rep with Laughing Skull Orcs.
Show your might over opposing hostile players across Draenor and hone your strength on the blood-soaked arena floor. Slay your enemies and return with proof of their demise to earn powerful tributes!
- Increases your out-of-combat regeneration in outdoor Draenor zones and allows the collection of broken bones from defeated enemy players (used for Conqueror’s Tribute).
- Enables safe fall and underwater breathing in outdoor Draenor zones. Also enables the Nemesis quest series for defeating enemy players of specific races.
- While below 35% life, all damage is reduced by 50% in outdoor Draenor zones. Grants access to the HIghmaul Coliseum gladiator tournament.
The Bone Collector unlocks the level 3 blueprint
Small buildings focus on professions. Working More Orders unlocks all the Level 3 profession blueprints across all characters.
The Engineering Works produces a host of useful gizmos and parts for the intrepid tinkerer, and also creates wondrous mechanical devices. Starts with Burned-Out Hand Cannon.
- Allows the production of Engineering items and work orders.
- Allows followers with the Engineering trait to work here, granting a unique bonus. Also allows up to 14 work orders at one time. (150 resources)
- Allows up to 21 work orders at once.
The Gem Boutique allows for the creation of wondrous gems and other jewelcrafted items. Blueprint rewarded when you find Gem Grinder Orolak, the owner of the pendant chain.
- Allows the production of Jewelcrafting items and work orders.
- Allows followers with the Jewelcrafting trait to work here, granting a unique bonus. Also allows up to 14 work orders at one time. (150 resources)
- Allows up to 21 work orders at once.
The Salvage Yard turns other people’s trash into your treasure.
- Allows Salvage to be occasionally recovered from missions.
- Increases your chance at recovering Salvage from missions. In addition, you may now discover follower items in Salvage. (Only usable on followers which are 100)
- Greatly increases your chance at recovering Salvage from missions. In addition, you may now discover player items in Salvage. Hello, character creation armour and weapons.
The Storehouse has room to keep your and the garrison’s items safe and secure.
- Enables access to your personal bank and increases the total number of active work orders for all buildings by 5 (requires 150 resources).
- Enables access to your guild bank.
- Enables access to an Ethereal Trader for Void Storage and Transmogrification and increases the total number of active work orders for all buildings by 15.
If you’re not sure what buildings to choose, that’s ok. Plots are easily replaced by dragging another suitably sized plot over the original for the cost of some garrison resources and building time. However, note that any demolished plot will lose any progress gained and will have to start from level 1 if you choose to build it again.
Level 2 blueprints become available at different times depending on their size:
- Small buildings: Reach level 96 or complete the Talador zone.
- Medium buildings: Reach level 98 or complete the Spires of Arak zone.
- Large buildings: Reach level 100 or complete the Nagrand zone.
You will need the Outpost Building Assembly Notes for any medium and small blueprint upgrades. Two will be rewarded from quests in Gorgrond and the Spires of Arak.
Once I had upgraded my first plot to Level 2, the quest for the Fishing Shack appeared.
More Plots rewards the small & medium blueprints.
After completing your outpost questline in Talador, the Comprehensive Outpost Construction Guide may be used to upgrade your large plot to Level 2. A second one will be rewarded after you complete your outpost in Nagrand.
Level 3 blueprints become available as you complete certain achievements across Draenor. Level 3 blueprints are account-wide. Once you unlock one on a character, it’s available to all characters on your account.
Each outpost can give you a different set of followers so I’ve gone through what each one can offer.
Lowlands Lumber Mill
The Lumber Mill enables access to different types of Timber throughout Draenor.
Includes access to a Turbo Shredder which will cut through tangled vines throughout the zone. You will sometimes see various treasures which give you more garrison resources.
Savage Fight Club
A perfect location for strength and conditioning tailored to the rigors of Draenor. The Savage Fight Club will provide training missions to improve existing followers.
The zone perk Champions Honor allows you to summon a champion to can aid you in different ways. For example, you’ll need Beatface to break through Odd Boulders (similar to tangled vines from the Lumber Mill).
Enables instant travel to strategic points in Draenor!
- Unlocks a portal to Ashran
- Unlocks a portal to Talador
- Unlocks a portal to Gorgrond and Nagrand
Includes a Guardian Orb that follows you around and electrocutes enemies for 30secs.
Doubles your chance for quest rewards to give you a rare or epic bonus upgrade.
- Doubles the chance for your quest rewards to get a rare or epic Bonus Upgrade.
- Allows the collection of armour scraps from the Orc clans of Draenor for armour transmogrification use.
- Grants a free raid bonus roll once per week.
Includes Artillery Strike, a zone perk which orders your armory to begin an artillery strike at a targeted location. Three volleys will be be fired with a maximum of three charges.
Build a Tavern or Trading Post at 96.
The Stonefire Tavern will provide housing and additional troops and boosts the morale of your forces. Once fully operational, the Stonefire Tavern grants the use of Home Away from Home within the zone.
The Smuggler’s Den will open up trade roots with other forces, granting access to rare supplies and materials. Once fully operational, the Smuggler’s Den grants the use of Smuggling Run! within the zone.
The Corral will provide Frostwolf wolf mounts for your troops. Once fully operational, the Corral grants the use of a Frostwolf War Wolf allowing you to pick up items while mounted and increases movement speed within Nagrand.
The Tankworks will provide demolishers for your troops. Once fully operational, the Tankworks grants the use of a Wor’var Demolisher within Nagrand.
At 100, you can switch over any of the outposts for a 10K fee. Just speak to the relevant foreman NPC in each camp. However, note that if you swap an outpost, you won’t be able to complete the other questline.
Each follower comes with various abilities and traits. Some are pre-determined by level, quality, trait and/or ability. As a minimum, all followers start with one trait and ability.
Followers may also be recruited from the inn so if you’re looking for a particular trait or ability, you can find what you need there (except for fishing). The only difference is, all followers recruited from the inn start from level 90 and can be either uncommon, rare or epic. You also get a choice of three per week so keep that in mind when selecting a trait or ability.
According to Jeremy Feasel on twitter, the level 1 War Mill won’t affect the quality of any follower gained from quests.
Here are the basics:
- Uncommon: 1 ability, 1 trait
- Rare: 1 ability, 2 traits
- Epic: 2 abilities, 3 traits
Any random traits and abilities gained will be relevant to their class.
Certain followers may be assigned to certain buildings like the Gem Boutique and will provide unique perks like an increased yield from work orders or additional items to purchase.
A few possess the bodyguard trait which allows them to accompany you outside the garrison (provided you have a level 2 Barracks) but does not extend to battlegrounds, instances or scenarios. Much like other reputation grinds, you’ll need to spend time grinding reputation up to Personal Wingman where they will each offer you additional perks like:
- The ability to summon another player to your position – Aeda Perk: Ritual of Summoning (Illona Perk: Guiding Light)
- A portable mission table – Leorajh Perk: Windspeaker
- A portable repair kit – Tormmok Perk: Master of Arms
- A portable mailbox – Ishaal Perk: Courier Raven
- The ability to cast a portal that you can use to return to your Garrison – Vivianne Perk: Portal: Garrison ( Delvar Perk: Death Gate)
- Vivianne – Quest: Establish Your Garrison
- Ka’la – reward from your first garrison mission Gronnlings Abound
- Mulverick – Quest: Slavery and Strife (Sootstained Mining Camp)
- Shadow Hunter Rala – Quest: We Be Needin’ Supplies
- Dagg – After you free him from two cages in Daggermaw Ravine and Grom’gar, he appears outside your garrison offering to join you.
- Ahm – turns up in your garrison graveyard with the quest: Solidarity in Death as a follow-up quest from Talador.
- Gronnstalker Rokash – Quest: Only the Winner
- Blademaster Na’shra – Quest in Magnarok
- After completing the quest: The Battle for Thunder Pass, you’ll be able to choose one of three followers – Lokra, Greatmother Geyah, Kal’gor the Honorable
- Bruto – unlocked from the Savage Fight Club questline
- Spirit of Bony Xuk – Quest: Zero Xuk’s Given (Savage Fight Club questline)
- Kaz the Shrieker – Starts in Deadgrin and is part of the Lumber Mill questline
- Penny Clobberbottom – Meet her just before you build your outpost at Beastwatch. She is part of the Lumber Mill questline.
- High Centurion Tormokk – Go to The Destroyed Expedition in the south end of Gorgrond. You’ll see a big armored Ogre being attacked. Help him defeat his opponents and he will join you.
- Blook – On the border of Gorgrond and Talador – directly south of Evermoon Springs (Horde flight path), take the path leading up to his overlook. Talk to him, fight him and win.
- Magister Krelas – offered at the end of the Arcane Sanctum questline
- Morketh Bladehowl – offered during the Vol’jin Arsenal questline
- Pleasure-Bot 8000 – see Gem Boutique above
- Aeda Brightdawn – Quest: Gatekeepers of Auchindoun
- Soulbinder Tuulani – Starts with Powering the Defenses (a fairly long questline)
Spires of Arak
- Benjamin Gibb – Admiral Taylor’s Garrison graveyard
- Kimzee Pinchwhistle – see engineering above
- Dark Ranger Velonara – unlocked from the Tavern questline
- Ziri’ak – obtained from the Smuggler’s Run merchant window
- Leorajh – Follow the path leading up to the Apexis Chamber from Leorajh’s Den (south of Bloodmane Valley)
- Talonpriest Ishaal – becomes available once you complete the Achievement: Between Arak and a Hard Place
- Lantresor of the Blade – Starts with Meet Me in the Cavern
- Abu’gar – Find three of his belongings scattered around Nagrand. Return them to his current location at Stonecrag Gorge.
- Goldmane the Skinner – Go to the top of the tower at Ironfist Harbor and kill Bolkar the Cruel. Use the key to free him from the cage.
- Contract: Karg Bloodfury – Revered with Frostwolf Orcs
- Contract: Professor Felblast – Revered with Steemwheedle Preservation Society
- Contract: Dawnseeker Rukaryx – Purchased with Apexis Crystals
- Ulna Thresher – Stonefury Rescue mission
- Alexi Barov – under a fallen log (found in several zones) – right next to Terrokar Refuge, Talador (requires lumber mill) or by a lake in Nagrand
- Image of Archmage Vargoth – locate 4 items scattered around Draenor
- Meatball – Brawler’s Guild Rank 5
- Choluna – Quest: The Sleepers (The Garrison Campaign)
- Croman – Achievement from Bloodmaul Slag Mines (Heroic)
- Leeroy Jenkins – Achievement: Leeeeeeeroy? from UBRS
- Talon Guard Kurekk – Achievement: Mantle of the Talon King
On occasion, you might even see a rare mission with a Follower Re-training Certificate as a reward. This will allow you to re-roll the ability and trait on a follower for (hopefully) something more useful but the results are random. However, if you have several followers who possess the ability to counter Timed Missions, this would be a good opportunity to use it.
There are several advantages to using the mission table. Not only will you gain some nice XP for yourself and your followers, there are also a handful of toys to collect as well as gear and weapon upgrades to improve mission success. Follower upgrades can come from two sources:
- Salvage Yard – with a chance to receive salvaged goods from missions
- War Mill – through work orders
Successful missions require the right set of followers around the same level of the mission so take note of any abilities the enemies might have to reap any bonus rewards. When selecting a mission, you’ll quickly notice if you have a suitable follower with the right counter to any threat.
If you keep sending your followers out on missions, you’ll eventually have a garrison filled with epic followers. Even when your uncommon and rare followers reach 100, they will continue to gain XP until they are epic.
We’re removing the concept of dismissing followers and instead changing to a limit of 20 active-duty followers that can go on missions. What that means is, if you’re over 20 active followers, you won’t be able to start a mission until you’re down to 20 active-duty followers. Your followers that are on inactive duty still show up in your UI (but marked as inactive), and don’t lose any levels, progress, etc. One follower per day can be returned from inactive duty for 250g.
Once you have followers at ilvl 615, the second tier of level 100 missions unlocks, at 630 the third tier unlocks (includes missions with ilvl 645 gear for your character), and when you have followers at ilvl 645 the fourth tier unlocks. The fourth tier is special in that they show up rarely, but they’re raid missions for your followers that reward your character with raid quality loot of a tier higher than you’re currently running.
If you’re doing LFR, you’ll get normal quality raid loot, if you’re running normal raids you’ll get heroic quality loot, and heroic raiders will get mythic quality loot. Mythic raiders will get mythic loot and 1k gold. These missions show up rarely enough that you won’t be able to deck out your character in these items before the next raid zone shows up, but having a handful of them will give you a nice edge.
Subject to change as the beta continues