With Patch 6.1 just around the corner there are several things I’m looking forward to. Bullet points are pulled directly from the patch notes.
Blood Elf Models
- Character models for Blood Elves have been overhauled with an increase to fidelity and texture resolution; while retaining the core look and feel of the originals.
This was how my Blood Elf first looked on the PTR promptly followed by a visit to the Barber Shop.
Thankfully, she no longer appears to require any corrective neck surgery but she still looks a bit peeved.
It would be nice if they could fix the clipping issue with her shoulderpiece as well as some other issues.
This is the main reason I haven’t updated my Supers. In many cases, the items just sit better on the old models so if they can fix that at some stage, I’d feel more inspired to update their respective posts. When I first created Wonder Woman, I was only using my Blood Elf but as my Super Sunday series developed, I started using races who fit the characters. Sadly, the chestpiece looks even worse on a human.
A while ago, I logged onto the PTR to check out some of the garrison additions and changes.
Since then, I’ve completed the quest for the Ultimate Battle-Training Stone even though the patch notes reveal a different source:
- Level 100 characters with a Tier-3 Garrison will now receive an item in the mail that increases a single Battle Pet’s level to 25.
I’ve asked for clarification but have not received a response.
New Garrison Visitor
- Relic: Complete a series of quests to recover a relic for some gold
bag containing Apexis Crystals, and a chance to contain a level 645, or 655 item token. Completing a relic mission unlocks it as a potential mission for your followers. Completing all 6 relic missions will unlock Harrison Jones as a follower!
- Treasure Hunter trait increases the amount of gold rewarded from a mission.
I previously wrote about Harrison Jones and what it involves to recruit him as a follower.
- New exploration missions are available to players with a skill of at least 1 in Archaeology. Successfully completing these missions can award Archaeology fragments, keystones, or treasure maps for a Draenor zone. Treasure maps obtained in this manner do not require quest achievement completion for the Draenor zone.
- Archaeology Vendors in Stormshield and Warspear now sell an item that’ll spawn a follower exploration mission for 5x Restored Artifacts.
- New Raid missions to Blackrock Foundry are now available for a cache that awards level 665, 680, or 695 items.
Here’s one of my more exciting finds from the Barracks (previously featured on Wowhead) <3
- Reduced the difficulty of quests to unlock the Menagerie, elite pet challenges, and pet battle daily quests.
- New battle pets have been added to Black Temple, Caverns of Time: Hyjal Summit, and Sunwell Plateau along with a new achievement, Raiding with Leashes III to collect them all. Completing the achievement to collect all the new Battle Pets will award a Naaru pet.
Looks like a valid reason to revisit those old raids as well as a few other pet sources.
- Increased the maximum amount of Arakkoa, Draenor Clans, and Ogre archaeology fragments that can be held at a time to 250 (up from 200).
- All rare Draenor archaeology projects no longer cost more than 200 fragments to solve (avoiding situations like this).
- Brittle Cartography Journal can now be dug up by characters with an Archaeology skill of 1 (down from 575).
This was not in the patch notes but there’s currently one archaeology source which requires 600 skill to loot. Rejoice budding archaeologists, this will no longer be the case when the patch hits. I was able to loot the chest with a skill of 75 and since the item appeared green, I suspect it’s been reduced (to 1) to match the other chests and scrolls in the Spires of Arak.
- Players that have performed above-and-beyond expectations for a Gold rating while defending their Garrisons from an invasion can now attain a Platinum rating. Platinum rating awards a level 660 item and a chance at obtaining an item that can be used to summon a raid or world boss.
This will be fun to do but I wonder how many Platinums we can get with 2 people?
- Characters can now send Tweets for items, achievements, and screenshots from within the game client using the /share command.
I can see myself using this from time to time and will certainly save time cropping an image down in Photoshop first.
- Players can assemble a music box allowing them to play music in their Garrisons.
- Pieces for the music box can be found as a reward from new Bounty or Relic Missions.
- New songs can be collected from throughout the world to expand your music library.
Good thing I’ve already seen where some of these tunes lie.
New Garrison Vendor
- A new vendor has been added allowing players to use Garrison Resources to purchase items to upgrade Followers, or items that can be used to spawn a rare mission.
I plan on rebuilding my War Mill once I’ve exhausted all the gadget requirements from my Goblin Workshop.
- The Collections system now supports Heirloom items.
- New neck slot Heirlooms are now available and allows the character to cast a heal once a minute. This heal shares a cooldown with potions and Healthstones.
- Collecting all heirloom items awards a special mount usable by level 1 characters.
This will save a lot of mailing across toons and servers, not to mention storage space. There will also be a few ways to upgrade items using tokens from the Lunar Festival and Relic quest chains. A chauffeured mount will be particularly handy on low-level toons.
- Auspicious Spirits (Shadow) no longer cause Shadowy Apparitions to not deal damage. Instead, it now increases Shadowy Apparition damage by 100% in addition to still granting 1 Shadow Orb.
- Cascade may now hit the same target twice. This results in an increase to total healing, so its healing has been reduced by 35% to compensate (the total healing in a 20-player raid will be slightly higher than before).
- Clarity of Purpose’s (Holy) healing has increased by 20%.
- Divine Star (Shadow) damage increased by 20%.
- Halo now displays an indicator on the ground to make it easier for the casting Priest see where the ability is most effective. Additionally, Halo’s visual effect has been synchronized so a character will receive the effect when the nova intersects with them.
- Insanity (Shadow) now also affects Mind Sear.
- Mindbender lasts for 20 seconds (up from 15 seconds).
- Psychic Scream now has a 30-second cooldown (down from 45 seconds).
- Saving Grace’s (Discipline, Holy) healing has increased by 50%, but now reduces future healing dealt by 15% (up from 10%). Additionally, the talent is now instant-cast, but its effectiveness is reduced while in PvP combat.
- Surge of Darkness now has a 12% chance to trigger (up from 10%).
- Void Entropy (Shadow) damage increased by 80%.
- Void Tendrils’ health has increased by 30%.
- Power Word: Shield now absorbs 10% less damage.
Shields were bound to take a nerf.
- The Darkmoon Faire have added an exciting new racing event with opportunities to obtain new unique prizes!
- New achievements and rewards have been added to the Darkmoon Tonk Challenge and Darkmoon Ring Toss.
- Griftah now sells a variety of transmogrification items for Dingy Iron Coins. In addition, he now sells a Rogue-specific toy, Barrel of Bandanas [for 10,000 coins]. Barrel of Bandanas spawns a barrel that gives players that use it a random visual bandana buff [like the Sinister Rogue Mask] for 30 minutes.
Looks like I’ll need to start using my whistle again to build up some coins.
- All Brawler’s Guild shirts are now unique. Replacement Brawler’s Guild shirts can be purchased from Quackenbush or Paul North if the character has defeated a boss that awarded it.
Honestly, I’d much rather see a virtual storage solution for this (much like tabards).
New Colorblind Options
- Players can now access a new suite of colorblind filter options under Accessibility settings in the Interface menu.
Even though this doesn’t affect me personally, it’s good to see these types of improvements.
So are you excited about anything I’ve mentioned or anything else in the upcoming patch?