Time To Start My Engine (Again)?

I’ve been thinking a lot about engineering lately or to be more specific – changing professions. This is not a new idea for me, take this post I wrote back in 2011 but nothing really happened on that occasion. Since then I’ve been thinking more seriously about it. My current professions are jewelcrafting and enchanting but with the upcoming changes in WoD, I’m left wondering how useful these professions will be in the next year or so.

During Blizzcon, some itemisation changes were revealed for both:

item changes-wod

The fact that we’ll get a greater variety of choices, for say a weapon, sounds intriguing so I will probably wait until I hear more about this. Hopefully I’ll be able to try these changes out on the beta before I decide one way or another.

Recently, Lore (Community Manager) responded to this very concern saying:

We do want to slim down on the overall number of gems and enchants you’ll need to put on your gear. That’s primarily a quality of life change. We want to make it less of a hassle to be able to equip a new item.

That said, we don’t think these changes have to mean that e.g. Jewelcrafting will no longer be a decent source of income. We could — and this is purely a hypothetical example — make the best gems rarer, which would drive prices up and increase profit margins. If you can make just as much gold (comparatively) off of one gem in Warlords as you can selling three in Mists, that’ll help substantially.

Out of the two, I can see myself giving up ENC over JC since I do love my bling but there are so many reasons I’d love to take up engineering. I already have two on my account but one remains unplayed on an old server, 23 levels shy of 90 while the other is my pali who I really only levelled for her mining ability. She also specialises in all the goblin goodies while Cool makes up for all the gnomish counterparts.

Engineer

Not only will I be able to play with all the fun gadgets, drop a repairbot or mailbox inside dungeons and raids (that’s a big plus already), I’ll be able to summon my own Blingtron 4000 and use mounts unique to engineers.

Mixologists Tunic

At the same time, I’ve always been a fan of those teleporting items like my beloved Ruby Slippers and Dalaran ring. Add engineering to the mix and I can include wormholes.

No longer will I pretend it’s Cymre when I’m really on my paladin. I’ll be able to wear all the cool helmets, Mechbuilder’s Overalls, Rocket BootsGoggles – not to mention glovebelt and cape enchants.

MinerAstronautDiver

But then these are just the ones I’ve played with briefly.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I want to change but I’m still in bad shape from all the Winter Veil expenses a couple of months ago.

So tonight I’d love to know: what are your favourite items from engineering and why do you love them?

1. Oh! Thanks for the reminder, I leveled up my Monk really fast, just learning what I needed to level and thought I’d go back later for the rest. I can’t believe she doesn’t have a wormhole for Pandaria! Must fix that asap, lol.

• Happy to help :)

2. Engineering is the most fun profession in my book. Get to use all my nik naks.

• You won’t need to drop your mailbox and repairbot/vendor as often for me.

3. The glider for sure, I love zooming over the blacksmith in AB and healing people from the air. It’s also handy given my tendency to fall off things.

• That does sound like fun. In fact, ENG should be handy for all Cymre Jones adventures.

4. I love the transporter to Toshley’s Station. The transformations are awesome!

Why am I surprised our priests have the same professions? LOL! Since I’ve started playing my Priest again, I’ve been considering dropping JC or Enchanting for Engi. I find myself always looking for the toys that my Shaman has! Of JC and Enchanting, it’s a hard choice though.

I don’t have room to hold all the fun stuff currently though! I might farm up the mats and wait and see what 6.0 does for my bag space.

• Those transporter malfunctions are quite funny. The stealthing male tauren on my rogue was always my favourite. Sadly i don’t have the screenshots any more.

5. I hate alts, but I really want to do engineering on my new alt. And the expansion makes it sound fun!

• I was going to wait until I heard more about the professions but I don’t know if I want to wait now. :P

• mmmm goblin glider, rocket boots, goggles… so much fun. =P

• ARG! I’m so close to changing…

6. wow, I have an engineer and I haven’t made half of these fun things that people are talking about. I did make the sky golem but only because I really miss being able to pick flowers as a birdy (my druid doesn’t have herbing anymore) so this was the next best thing.
    Im going to go look at what my enjineer can make, sounds like I’m missing out on so much.
    I do remember loving the exploding sheep that I made when levelling the profession.

• I followed a guide so I really only played with the stuff I made from levelling, as well as making a couple of items for my costume/career posts :)