Put Your Manners Back In

I can’t help thinking of Tom Cruise when he said this to one of our Australian journalists once but the theme applies.

I let a lot of things slide in this game but there are times when I guess you catch me on a off-day and it annoys me more than usual. Why do people think it gives them a free pass to act like shitheads sitting behind a monitor just because the other person can’t see them. Yes, it’s just a game and you may never run into them again but I still try to act the way I do in real life – which includes not stealing things from other people (quest items or nodes) – especially when it’s clear you’re fighting the mobs right by the object. It’s even more disappointing when you see this from players of the same faction. While killing one of the Zandalari Warbringers in Jade Forest, a Blood Elf Paladin on a yellow panther tried to aggro the nearby elite pterodactyl into Cool’s consecrate so thank you for showing how efficient a combo we are together.

Zandalari Warbringer--kill

The other day I spotted Moldo-One Eye just as he reached the end of his path to turn around. It’s not too often that I see him without being in combat or dead so I swooped down and tagged him, aggroing a thundermaw at the same time. About two seconds later, an Alliance hunter landed to watch my progress.

Being close to the stream, a crocodile decided to join the party as well but it didn’t pose too much of a problem, especially as a hunter. By this stage, (as I hadn’t wiped) the other hunter attempted to aggro more mobs onto me – but failed. About a minute later, I had killed Moldo without incident so was feeling pretty good about a toon I haven’t been playing that much. I am slowly getting back into it though and trying survival again!

Then there are the ones you’ve known for years who aren’t afraid to speak their mind in-game but when it comes face-to-face, you’re lucky to even get a word out of them – this includes asking them a direct question.

As I finished my random dungeon for the day, I was left with more material for this post. Cool and I are used to tank/heal’ing our way through stuff but on occasion we’ll go in as double DPS. When the queue popped I saw the loading screen for Scholo. Not a big deal, right? Well, I guess it was for the tank who proceeded to go straight through the gate and aggro the boss. As a result, I was pinned between two sheets of ice at the top of the stairs and eventually died and so did Cool after a while. Once the fight was over, I saw a couple of them run off to continue pulling so I released but was called away to do something for a minute. Cool on the other hand refused to release and lay on the floor waiting for a rez.

By the time I came back I saw this:

“that’s what you get for not even trying”

“priest”

“get your fingers out of your ass and do something”

I was going to retort with something like ‘maybe one day you’ll know about responsibility’ or ‘did you not notice the bit when I was pinned in the ice’ but I could hear that Cool was getting riled up by what had been written. He told me he was going to tank asking me to go discipline. By this stage, I had tried to kick the tank once but it didn’t go through. A couple of minutes later, as we passed Jandice and the Bone guy, he made some other ‘choice’ wise-ass comments since Cool was now tanking and he couldn’t grab the aggro back from him. From there he stated he would just stop playing and just let us keep going while he had a smoke (this was after we had pulled the whole room mind you). After that, the kick went though and he was gone, the healer by that stage was going to let him die anyway. I guess that’s what you get for a DK called Pothead. Honestly, I wonder how old these guys are sometimes, he sounded like a real asshat. Maybe he was just young but is that a valid excuse?

I guess all I’m saying is, can’t we all be a little bit nicer to each other and treat each other the way we’d like to be treated? The world would be such a nicer place to live which is one reason why I follow the Dalai Lama on Twitter.

1. This is the whole reason the hubby and I hardly ever do dungeons unless it’s with friends.

We had only been playing WOW a couple weeks and decided to try a dungeon. We were both pretty clueless about the game and after 3 dungeons we decided to just quest to level.

Every dungeon we went in if we even messed up once some person in the group would just start yelling and name calling. We are playing this game for fun and a retreat not to get yelled at.

Bg’s are pretty bad too. It seems like every other BG we go into there is at least one person just ripping on everyone. I try so hard to ignore chat wherever I’m at.

I have never understood why people act like this in the game. It just bothers me to no end and is the reason I mostly only do stuff with friends.

• It’s become that way lately due to various circumstances but it’s the luck of the draw really. We may just go into these now as our main specs just to minimise the frustration.

2. OMG yes! I was healing at (cant spell this on my iPad) “Siege of Nizhao Temple” and it was that boss that throws the bombs that you then have to use on the army – anyhow we were doing it on heroic – and the tank kept losing aggro on the swarming army mobs and trying to tank the boss (who evades and absorbs while there are adds) – with the result that I kept getting swarmed an ended up dying. Quickly followed by the tank. (Just once) he then launches into this verbal attack on me “oh my god you ruined the run! Why didn’t you battle res!? “At this point I’m still running in to res by the time I’m up I only see what he had written – and I see he’s going on and on about how much I suck – so I ask him who he is talking to since obviously I can’t battle res (discipline priest) and he says, and I quote, “aren’t you a Druid!?” Hahahahahahahaha two of the dps with me were my guildies that I raid with regularly and we were laughing about that for the rest of the night, after we kicked him and finished the instance. But yes I feel your pain as a healer – shoddy tanks (noob dk’s I’m looking at you) will always blame the healer for their own stupidity!

• LOL, what a classic! At least you can look back on memories like that with friends.

3. A lot of stuff annoys me in WoW but different than Cym she knows I just steam it out by trying harder in my role, tanking/dps, or sound like a steam engine on skype. =P

Then there is a lot of other stuff I can just laugh off because I got to the point 9/10 times I can tell if the person did it on purpose or on accident.

Now I have only had this experience a few times in WoW but you can say what you want about me but when you start saying stuff about Cym… well you just put your hand into a blender. Yes, I try the act equal thing, “Treat others the way you wish to be treated.” But those moments go right out the window when you bash Cym.

Now I am not putting this here for a raise my epeen or anything like that but Cym and I have had someone verbally abuse her on Mumble (like Ventrillo) one time. Cym got to the point of tears… now she does not know what I said and no one except him and myself knows still. I took him to a private channel and laid into him like a boxer.

Point being I try my best to be mellow but the second you bash her, you better expect the Coolidge Tornado to come.

• That’s the price you pay for being a GM. You really need to be a counsellor too but I’d have to agree about the steam engine part :D as well as the rest. <3

4. This is probably the one aspect of online games that I dislike the most. Some people tend to behave really poorly. The things they say or do can really ruin all the fun in the game for someone else.

It’s nice to see posts like this once in awhile as friendly reminders to be nice to each other. I do hope the message gets across to people.

• I think the problem is people get too caught up in what they’re doing or are just in it for themselves and don’t care about the consequences.

5. It’s sure why I don’t group with strangers very often. I find it depresses me and I’m playing a game to unstress not get stressed. Oddly it seems I remember most of the jackassery I’ve encountered was from my own faction.

• You must have a really bad server then but there are jackasses everywhere.

6. I swear that it sometimes seems people go out of their way to be jerks. When I DPS dungeons I keep running with the tank but I really do hate the tanks that chain pull and do not stop for a second to think about the healer. I can’t tell you the number of times I have seen people locked out on the first boss in setting sun.

The rare thing has been an issue from the start. So many people seem to take pleasure in “helping” people die on them. I must admit I take a little bit of pleasure in the fact I can still do it even with their “help” because I know they are curing me for not dying. I’ve even got into the habit of thanking them for pulling more mobs for me.

I had one of the BoE 496 plate wrists from HoF on me one time and a paladin tried pulling a ton of mobs on me to kill me. After I killed them all I did a /hug and said thank you in say posting the wrists. I said, you are the best and flew away. I bet that paladin with his low level bracers will think twice before giving away free epics to others and maybe kill mobs himself instead of pulling them. Hey, it was not important that he knew I already had them, was it? ;)

• Hehe, the unexpected bonuses can make up for a lot.

7. Things like this get to me more and more, it’s as if age has chipped away at my armor so things hit me harder. I’ve found myself quite upset more than once because of stupidity like what was shown here. I commend you for hanging in there and/or standing up to him.

I get that some people are just asshats and to some extint it’s probably brought over from RL but that doesn’t make it ok. I firmly beleive if you can’t say something nice then don’t say anything at all. Some may think that’s nieve, maybe, but essentially I’m just a soft-hearted – mothering kinda person.

I stopped doing pugs for this very reason. If your ever looking for a non-asshat dps to fill a spot I’d be happy to join – check my about page. Sorry for the spelling, my firefox spellchecker has for some reason stopped working.

• The ones I’ve mentioned are not even the worst, although I’ve written about quite a few of them.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Instance Etiquette - [...] I read a great blog post by Bubbles of Mischief  yesterday, about an experience they’d had with a, what …