When I first saw the post about the Mogolympics on JD’s blog, I was intrigued. The theme brought back memories of a game I played as a child on our Apple II computer. It was called Olympic Decathlon and involved the usual events like running, shot put, hurdles and long jump.
Check out the intro to the game below:
Reminiscing about this old floppy disc game, I found another one. These are the main two PC games I used to play, before our Atari system anyway.
Geez, it’s hard to believe i used to play these. Games have come a long way since then :P
So reading through the details of what the contest involved, my first thought about the format was that it might be a bit difficult but the events were so diverse that it also sounded like a lot of fun. Designing outfits based on the event they represent? Not only that but you couldn’t use the same sex and race twice. The part I really liked was the fact that the judges wouldn’t know who’s entry belonged to who.
I guess I was a little vague in my comment though as JD asked if I would be joining in. Of course I said yes. When I logged in later that afternoon, he whispered me:
You not participating in the Mogolympics is like Brazil not being in the World Cup
LOL. He may have something there.
From what I can see, there’s a lot of interest already, including a lot of names I recognise. The good news is that we have a month to design all ten outfits.
The first outfit will be for our flag bearer who represents the faction we’re given, in my case – Ramkahen.
The nine actual medal events will be:
- Archery – Build an outfit around your favourite bow.
- Cycling – Build a biker outfit to compliment the Chopper. It must be either Leather or Mail.
- Discus – Build an outfit around one of the shield skins seen here
- Equestrian – Build an outfit to compliment one of the horse mounts in the game. (Faction limitations apply, so no Orcs on a Stormwind pony)
- Fencing – Time for some swordplay. Build your best outfit around the 1h sword of your choice.
- Javelin – Build an outfit around the polearm of your choice.
- Hammer Throw – Build an outfit around your favourite two-handed hammer.
- Wrestling – Using one of the “championship” belts, design your own Azerothian pro wrestler. Think of the oversized belts, such as the Firemend Cinch.
- Freestyle – Build your own NPC.
So there you have it.
Oh and one more thing, let the games begin!